Saturday, April 07, 2007

Deck of Me- Week 13: "What's On Your Mind"

I was happy to read that Emily's challenge this week is to make a card based around "What's On Your Mind" because the thing that's been on my mind would be so fun to paint... Me in the streets of London (walking a little dog humming my made up London song that I sing around the house). It was double fun to paint this because I've always loved Big Ben and had that old clock in my list of things I wanted to paint sometime. And there He is in the background. Hi Ben, you beautiful thing.

I've been day dreaming and skeaming about London since Christmas time when a company there told Seth they were interested in hiring him to animate on the next Chronicles of Narnia movie (Prince Caspian) beginning this summer and lasting a year. Can you imagine, a fun London experience for a year and then hop on back to the states, having your life that much more enriched? It's been so fun to day dream about. Every week I've been googling pictures of London, looking up rent prices for a two bedroom flat (you don't want to know), checking out their private schools (from what we can tell- you can't go to their public schools unless you are a citizen), etc.

About 3 weeks ago they made Seth an offer and unfortunetly it was too small to be able to have our little family of 4 live out there. Afterall, it is one of the most expensive cities in the WORLD. So Seth wrote them back a counter-offer. When I began this card at the beginning of the week, I was in more of a hopeful mood and wanted to project these good feelings out there and make it come true.

I think now as I post this, my card has become more of a sweet goodbye for now to the idea. It just seems like we would have heard back from them by now if Seth's counter-offer had been acceptable or if they were interested enough to make one last try at a counter-offer to his counter-offer. *sigh* Then again, they aren't hiring until July-ish so maybe they aren't rushed enough to reply yet.

...we'll see. Seth is going to contact them this week, so keep your fingers crossed. Whatever happens, happens. And life is good, and we experience all sorts of adventures where ever we are. We really feel we are being looked out for and the right job opportunity will come along to be able to get Seth off this project that he doesn't agree with. London may not be right for us right now and another great opportunity is around the corner. In the mean time, LA is grand and we could always take a vacation to London if saved for it. :0)

10 comments:

Kristen said...

daydreaming IS the most fun thing, isn't it?

ah, London!

Unknown said...

Beautiful painting!!!
Fingers crossed for you his counter offer is accepted :)

valerie said...

another cool card sorry things aren't going quite to plan but you never know. I have friends from Ghana and both there boys go to public school and they are not citizens. And there are loads of really nice places just outside of London that would be cheaper to stay

The Au Family said...

I LOVE this card! It's one of my favorites! It just looks so carefree and adventurous. Plus, you could have a cute little dog! :) I've been to London...london is grand...but not as exciting as LA! (Unless you get the job...then London is cooler, of course!)

Je@net said...

Ooooh, what a beautiful card!! Love the painting!!
Keep on dreaming girl!!

Marjolein said...

I didn't see this one yet! Cool card, love how you paint..... gourgeous!

Heather said...

So lovely! Donna Downey was just in London and had posted a bunch of pictures on her blog. I was telling my husband we HAVE to go there. I HAVE to go there. He wants to do some million mile walk across the country but I would settle for just two weeks of exploring! I hope it works out for you to go there. It would be a wonderful experience for all of you!

Sooz said...

OH MY! My friend Aimee pointed out your painted cards...and I am LOVING them! One is more fab than the next!! How long do each of them take? What paper/paints do you use? (I love to read what 'tools' everyone uses.) I can't pick a favorite!!

Mrs Pretzel said...

You, are amazing. I hope that your London wishes come true!

Anam_Kihaku said...

loads of places to live outside london - the trains are pretty good and you done have to be a citizen to attend the public school system. but be careful of your taxes becuase while they may offer a lot the taxes are 44% at proper animation rates... i know - hubby is a games artist and we live in canada now - left the uk last year... drop me a line if you need any info and i'll do my best to help you out.