Saturday, November 22, 2008

It's coming along...

Here's what my little work space looks like. Like my art table? Seth gave it to me for my bday this year. :) It's matchy-matchy with his on the other side of the room. So hanging up is Pottery Barn's super cute advent calendar and on the table are my pockets I've been making. My sister Kristie and I have split up the work. We figure that if you have to make one pocket than you might as well make more, right? So together we are making enough for 4 trees. One for each of us and one for each of us to give away for a Christmas present. Krisser has just finished embroidering the snowflakes and numbers on the trees with her fancy new embroidery machine and has sent them to me in the mail with her pockets today, so I should get that in a few days. I will sew on all our pockets and sew the tree front to back and add the trunk and star at the top. Hopefully this will be done to start counting down the beginning of December. I wanted to show some of the detail of a few of my pockets. The fun of making your own stuff is that you get to change it to fit you better. I've had great time making alterations and adding more details. So in each photo I have Pottery Barn's pocket on the left and mine on the right. (Mostly I'm showing this because Kristie keeps asking how they look and telling me she wants to see them- so here you go Kris)

Snowman


Rudolf
(Seth sketched the design of this one for me to make- thanks honey)




Red Skate




Pink Skate



Christmas Tree
(I changed the shape to mimic the advent tree that these pockets are all on)


I didn't do much to change the Santa except add a nose and a little snowflake (can you tell that I like snowflakes?) :)
And here is just one I made up for fun. There were a few designs that repeated and were simple and I decided that I wanted a wreath. It replaces one of the green stripey pockets (pocket #9 in the top photo). Also Kris- I added little bow ties to our penguins, but didn't take photos of them. The #19 penguin has a red bow tie and the #14 penguin has a green bow tie.





So here is my progress. I'm pretty excited and have been having a great time. It's been a good way for me to relax since the nesting phase is setting in and I want to attack every part of my house. I keep over working and then contractions set in for a few hours- ug. So this has kept me sitting for long moments and I still feel like I'm getting something done. Only 3 more weeks and our little Penelope will be here!!! Man alive have I got a lot to do- but at least this will be one thing to check off my list that I really wanted done. BTW- I've had 3 people in the last 2 days tell me that it looks like she has dropped, which might be a nice way of saying I'm looking bigger. I sure feel bigger and more uncomfortable. Thank goodness there's an end in sight!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your versions better! Seriously looks awesome.

Jill said...

I like yours way better, I will look at the other blog for Halloween pics... I am confused..

The Marshall Family said...

Oh crap... I am repeating what has already been said, but I like your's better too! Good luck with Penelope - I know exactly how you feel :)

jessica said...

Those look amazing!!! You really do have a gift...if I were to attempt that I would have created something that looked awful. Your family will love it!

Kristen said...

naturally your pockets look so much better! wow kare! way to go!

i am not worthy to gaze upon your awesomeness

Catherine said...

Hey there!
I'm Kristen's Friend, Catherine. We started making this advent "thingy" while I was visiting her last week and she told me the other day that yours were super cute, so I had to come take a look and she's right. Yours are AWESOME!!!
(Maybe I should start over)
Thanks for the inspiration!
Catherine

S.T. Lewis said...

Your version is way better. You kicked the Pottery Barn's trash. Way to go!

Chrystal said...

Your versions are by far better! How amazing! What a wonderful keepsake and adorable addition to your Holiday!

Colleen said...

what santa didn't have a nose? how horrible! good thing you fixed that. i love your. so much cutier that pottery barns. i so want to make one but i dont have a sewing machine. maybe someday. or maybe i will have to make it in pieces when i go to boise for visits. i am so excited for penelope to arrive. babies are such blessings. good luck with everything.

Krisser said...

I'm so excited to see it all finished up and gorgeous! I love your take on them all Flem- you're way more creative than me, I pretty much stuck to what the good old Pottery Barn did- woohoo!

rachelle said...

hey, i'm kristie's friend (one of the 5 of us doing this)-- i love your rudolph! so cute! and i love all your other improvements as well. i'm at the "sew on the pockets stage..." hopefully that'll be happening tonight! have fun...

Catherine said...

Kristen's friend again...

So, I FINALLY finished all 25 of my pockets and posted them on my blog. Just thought you might enjoy checking mine out too!
www.thenewuglybetty.blogspot.com

I look forward to seeing the completed product once you are done!!!

Catherine

Tara Hoppie said...

I am sure this is a repeat of the other comments, but your pockets are far cuter than Pottery Barn's. Seriously, you are an amazing artist. I LOVE THEM!

When is your daughter due? I can't quite remember. Love ya.

SumGreater said...

I agree with everybody. Yours is better. =)
By the way, I like the name Penelope!! It's my girl's name, too. Sweet, old fashioned, fun. Perfect. =)

Sheri said...

Love it, Karalenn. You are such an artist. Hope you're doing well!!! I'm thinking of you and praying all goes well with the new little one! : ) Love you!!!